Wednesday 8 February 2012

Why I need God

I want to share a little bit about my "faith" and why I believe what I do. God Willing , maybe someone will get something out of this.  First of all, when you suffer with an addiction like myself, you need every kind of help you can get.

My walk with God started when I was young, I went to church with my grandparents. From a early age "God" was the only person I could "talk" to about my troubled family. Now any atheist would argue about "evidence" and to be honest I didn't have any at the time. It was "faith" in a higher power that helped me. Looking back my life was hell but at the time I didn't think so, because I had God on my side. Around 15-16 I started slipping away from God and started partying , having sex, and forgetting about the faith that got me through the garbage. By the time I turned 18 I was angry , and addicted to gambling. God went out the window for a number of years and he let me go my own way. Things didn't go so well. Ended up in jail 4 years later at 22 and found myself turning back to God. After reading my Bible ( not much else to do in jail ) and praying and listening to Christian radio, I got my faith back and all the past stuff went away. I was determined to have a fresh start.

So I got out of jail and started going to church. I met a nice woman , got married and had a child. Financial pressure from some bad financial decisions led me back to gambling. My marriage soon ended and I lost everything. I was again angry and threw God under the bus instead of trusting in him. You just can't ditch God when things don't go as planned, everything is his will.

Anyway, I have learned that in 34 years of living , I am the most miserable when I do not have faith and feel incomplete. When I am trusting in God , praying and believing I feel whole and happy, no matter what. Now atheists will still want "proof". I can't show you physical proof, I am sorry. But I have all the proof I need in how I feel in my heart. I need God to survive. Thy will be done. So why a Christian over a Muslim or Jew ? I believe we all follow one God and my beliefs are my own. I was raised in a Christian church and like the songs, traditions , etc. God is God, I don't believe he is that fussy. I just know I need him. God Bless and have a good day !